Sunday 4 January 2015

BOARD GAMES

What do the Christians out there think about board games?

Are there board games that can be beneficial to the Christian man, women and child?  

Does it matter the type of board games Christians play?  Are there some board games that could be considered scripturally sound?  Also, are there board games that could be considered scripturally unsound?  Are board games to be considered as something to be played at all? 

What are the scriptural limitations without being legalistic to how we should approach board games?  Or is playing board games being legalistic?  

What does the scripture say?

In my understanding, walking after the flesh is being legalistic but being led of the Spirit we are not under the law.  (Galatians 5)

There are quite a few more questions that have passed through my mind over the years when playing board games.  The reason I bring it up is that over the years I have yet to find a godly purpose in a large percentage of them.  In my judgement most board games do not bring out the good in people that are trying to be obedient to Christ.  I instead have found them to be border line idolatry because of the excessive attachment that people have towards them. 

I want at this point to make it clear that I do not want to put on any Christian the bondage of legalism.  But exhort us as Christians to put on Christ and not to be entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

In Romans 12:1-3 it says, 

“I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly that he ought to think; but to think soberly , according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.” 

There are many more scriptures that have demonstrated to me that I should be sober and vigilant in regards to board games and how I give place to them in mine and my families life.  Here are just a few: Galatians, 1 and 2 Timothy, 1 and 2 Corinthians, and Romans.  Of course all of scripture exhorts us to obedient to the Lord Jesus Christ.  And that his grace is what teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts.

What brought this up to the fore front of my mind again?  Family invited us out for dinner on the 2nd of January.  What consumes their time when not eating?  Board games, sports on T.V. talking about anything and everything except the one thing a christian should be excited to talk about - the Lord Jesus Christ.

Most of the time I try to keep silent with regards to how superficial the family wants to be around each other.  But when ungodly things are introduced to the equation I get a little bit zealous to the protection of my children and my wife. 

The board game 7 Wonders was put down on the table to be played.  I had never heard of the game before but as soon as the box was put down on the table I was pressed in my spirit to examine what this game was all about.  Normally I don’t play any games because I personally believe them to be and idle way to pass the time by.  This time however I played the game.  It was absolutely horrible.  How a Christian could play 7 Wonders is beyond me.  


For those who have family an friends playing this game be warned.  The game is a very flattering way to introduce people to the occult, the gods, and many more unbiblical practices.  



"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.  For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.  And let us not be weary in well doing for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not".

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.  But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law"…




2 comments:

  1. Hi, Thanks so much for writing about this!
    My family and I were recently wondering this same thing.
    I know that a lot of the games are very inappropriate, and wouldn't allow them in my home. But I wondered if monopoly, and checkers would be acceptable. So glad to see other Christians are searching this out also.
    May the Lord bless you and your family.

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally do not play board games on a regular basis. I would be hypocritical if I said I never play them. I have played two in about 4 years.

      Is monopoly or checkers ok to play? My first question would be, why would they be wrong to play biblically? Anything that is not of faith is sin. So if playing them causes you to sin then I would not. But if a game that is not evil in and of itself is played then the Holy Spirit will lead and guide you in what the bible teaches on such a matter. Again, If you have a conviction on the matter biblically I personally would not partake. I hope you know that in writing the post I did not want people to be bound by legalism but to test for themselves what is a right judgement.

      Delete